Silent-Film Double-Bill: The American Dream, Chaplin & Lloyd, with Patrick Miller

Lillian Wonderly, Entertainment Editor

September 29, 2022

A silent film double bill of The Immigrant (Charles Chaplin short, 1917) and The Freshman (Harold Lloyd feature, 1925) will be presented with live piano accompaniment by Patrick Miller. The event will be held in Lincoln Theater on Saturday, October 8th from 7:30 pm – 10:30 pm. The screening is a celebration of the quest for the American Dream with the presentation of two contrasting masterworks of American silent cinema. The admission price is free and you can acquire tickets here: https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?show=143720.

The Immigrant was released in 1917 and The Freshman was released in 1925. Both films were top-of-the-box office and critical hits. Charles Chaplin (1889-1977) is one of the masters of film art. The Immigrant is Chaplin’s most accomplished short film and is a powerful, dramatic comedy reflecting the courage to achieve a meaningful life in America. Harold Lloyd (1893- 1971) had a unique comedy persona as the dynamic and optimistic Everyman working to succeed in 1920s America. The Freshman is a spectacular comedy with Lloyd determined to be the Big Man on campus.

Patrick Miller, Professor Emeritus, Music Theory, taught at The Hartt School, the University of Hartford for 40 years. He studied at the University of Kansas (B.Mus., M.Mus.) and the University of Michigan (Ph.D.). Since 1982, he has performed his symphonic-style piano accompaniments for silent film screenings at colleges, universities, and museums throughout New England. He has studied silent film history and music at the George Eastman Museum (Rochester, NY), the Museum of Modern Art, and the Library of Congress, and has accompanied the masterworks of American and international silent cinema.