Here Comes the Real World

Here Comes the Real World

Justin Lockhart, Sports Editor

I am a second semester senior right now. That means I only have a few months left of my collegiate career before I have to tackle the life expectations and roles of the real world. Throughout college I always thought of graduation as this far away event that may never actually see the light of day. However, the light from that day is becoming brighter and brighter as we approach May. As the days turn into weeks I know I am not the only senior on this campus that returns to the same question on an almost daily bases; what am I going to do after graduation? I have applied to several graduate school programs without receiving a response as of yet which I know is a track that many of us are trying to take, to prolong the reality of the real world for a bit longer.

However, there are others amongst us who have already been accepted to great schools, or great careers post-graduation. I congratulate all of my fellow seniors who know exactly where they will be, come June. However, to all the rest of my seniors who find themselves lost with the inevitable graduation date, here are some tips. Start looking for jobs! There are plenty of resources provided to us to look for great occupations after graduation. You can go to career services, talk to your advisors, talk to any places you may have interned, or simply go on a job listing website like Indeed.com.  Make sure your LinkedIn and resume are completely up to date and present you in the most professional and impressive manner possible. Don’t worry, adulating won’t be too difficult. The only negative part about the real world I hear from alumni is that it simply less fun than college. Oh well. We’ve definitely made it a great several years, and if you didn’t, well there’s still time.