Women’s Lacrosse Unable to Get First Season Win

Megan Miller, News Editor

Coming close in the second half wasn’t enough to give the Hartford women’s lacrosse team their first win of the season on Saturday. The Hawks took on the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds at Al-Marzook Field and lost with a score of 6-16. The Blackbirds took control of the game fast, scoring six goals in the first 10 minutes alone. Hartford attempted to start a scoring run when sophomore Megan Miller put the ball in the back of the net off a feed from Rosie Sconzo to make the score 1-6 and give her the fourth goal of the season. With momentum starting, Hartford struck again. This time fellow sophomore Kaitlyn D’Andrea let off a shot from an assist from Miller to put them within four goals. However, for the first half, this is where the Hawks scoring ended. Going into halftime the score sat at 12-2 in favor of the Blackbirds. After the break, this game looked completely different. Both teams tallied four goals to tie the second half. 10 minutes into the second half Miller struck again, while LIU Brooklyn continued to score four goals in that time. A man-up situation for Hartford allowed rookie, Jessica Harrison, to score her first of the game. Two minutes later Miller knocked in another goal for her third of the game. The last point of the game came from a pass off Miller to Harrison in a man-down situation. During this game, Harrison tallied two of the team’s goals and Miller tallied five points, three goals, and two assists. The Hawks couldn’t manage to shut down Rachel Masullo who was the fire in the Blackbirds offense with six goals and two assists. Both goalies from Hartford saw the field. Rookie Emma Privitera started in net and recorded six saves in the first half and sophomore Cassidy Hock tallied three saves in the second half. Hartford is still itching for the first win of their season. The team faces off against Quinnipiac, Holy Cross, and Siena before they travel to the US Lacrosse Headquarters in Baltimore, Md. during spring break where they play Wofford and Delaware State.