School district regionalization cause hundreds to descend on the capitol to voice disapproval

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christiana Lenzer, Staff Writer

Three additional overflow rooms had to be added Friday, at the Capitol complex when hundreds of people arrived to hear the testimony of the Education Committee after the announcement of regionalization. The Governor’s bill seeks to combine school districts under one administrative umbrella with fewer than 10,000 residents or fewer than 2,000 students in an attempt to cut costs and be more efficient.

Joe Reardon, Superintendent of Connecticut’s smallest district, Union, says that the regionalization would “take the personal aspect of education out, and what is education if it’s not personal?” Republicans tapped into the outrage, to let constituents know that they stand opposed- obtaining 8,300 signatures in their petition which was showcased at a press conference last week.

Republicans accuse the regionalization as being “forced”, while democrats argue that none of the regionalization bills moves a single child out of any school district, “there’s no such thing” Democrat Senator Cathy Osten stated. Senator Martin Looney’s regionalization bill only leaves 24 of 169 communities untouched- financial conflicts on the horizon if they decline the bill, the Senator reports.

Beyond regionalization, the Governor also proposed a controversial bill to add funding to districts. His bill suggests stabilizing the teachers’ retirement funds by shifting a portion of the costs over to cities and towns.