On-Campus Residential Housing Rankings over the Years

Amanda Barreiro, Managing Editor

With a few months left until Spring graduation, it’s nice to look back at all of the years I have spent here at the University of Hartford. As I take a stroll down memory lane, it’s crazy to think that I have lived in every possible dorm on campus (other than E & F complex and Hawk Hall) throughout all four years. Starting with freshman year, I was assigned to A Complex in Olmstead, which was very convenient as Commons was right outside.

With all residence halls being located in the middle of campus, this gives students the ability to take a short walk to other events held on the other side of campus. This includes classes, faculty offices, libraries, the fitness center, other sporting events and performances.

Since the freshmen dorms are considered as first-year housing, these students are open to A through D Complexes or Hawk Hall for a step higher. As my most carefree year, I had arrangements set up with my roommate on what was going to be in the dorm, such as appliances (microwave & fridge). This made the whole process easier since we did not have to bring double of everything. Everything was also very close to my dorm building, which was convenient for the freshmen class.

Next, I ended up moving to the Regents Park building at the start of my Sophomore year. With another roommate, our space upgraded to a bigger living room or common area, along with a separate bathroom area. The only downside of living in Regents was having no air conditioning, which may be pretty brutal during the warmer seasons. The bedroom size was much larger than the complex rooms with more storage space and shelving.

Afterwards, I started my Junior year by living in a single at the Village Apartments quad 5. I lived right in the front of the courtyard, where I was able to have both views from the inside and outside of the dorm. This dorming style felt more like an apartment compared to the past years, although I sadly did not have air conditioning. I was able to bring some couches and furniture for the living room downstairs. The kitchen was also a step up from living in Regents, where you’re basically given a few shelves and a countertop. Included in a quad apartment is a living room, one or two bathrooms and a kitchen with fully equipped appliances. I felt very independent living in this area, even though it seems to be the loudest place on campus.

As a senior, I decided to continue living in a single, but decided to move into Park River for my last year. I’ve always wanted to live in this apartment complex as it seemed to be the nicest of all housing on campus. For starters, it includes a fully equipped kitchen area, air conditioning and even an elevator for those who live on the fourth floor, such as myself. The laundry room is directly across my room which makes everything more convenient at the end. Park River definitely ranks the highest in my opinion. The Konover Market being right next door is a huge plus!