Softball falls in three-game series

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

Saturday and Sunday for the Hawks softball team were disappointing as they fell 6-3 game one 8-2 game two and 2-5 in game three. Game one started slow as neither team could find a run through the first three innings. Hartford opened the scoring as Paige Fedak hit a two-run homer bring sophomore Danielle Rocheleau giving the hawks the 2-0 lead. The Great Danes didn’t wait to answer as they put up five runs in the fourth and another in the fifth. Hartford tried starting a rally but only amounted to one run which would be their last score of the game.

Game two followed a similar story to being the game as Hartford jumped out to a 1-0 lead from freshman Emma Curry slapping a single to left field scoring sophomore Nicolette Barranger. Albany went on to score eight unanswered runs heading into the final frame. Hartford snagged one run in the bottom of the seventh, as sophomore Lily Sencer reached on the an error. Junior Amber Mianti scored from third but that would be all she wrote for game two.

Game three was a simple score line as the Great Danes took a one run lead in the first. Hartford answered with two of their own in the third. Rocheleau grounded out to third but scored Sencer from third. Fedak singled to center field which scored sophomore Nicolette Barranger. The Hawks 2-1 lead then was tied in the fifth inning and added three more taking a 5-2 lead which held for the remainder of the game.

Hartford continues conference play with a home doubleheader against UMass Lowell on Wednesday. Game time is set for 2 p.m.