Baseball swept by Binghamton Bearcats

Kelly Insalaco, Staff Editor

Hartford baseball dropped both games on day one of its weekend America East series against Binghamton, losing 12-1 in game one and 6-2 in game two on Saturday, April 27. The Bearcats came out hot in the first game of the series, scoring seven runs on seven hits in the bottom of the first inning. Binghamton went on to score an additional three runs before Hartford sophomore John Thrasher hit his first home run of the season over the left field fence in the seventh inning to put the Hawks on the board, making the score 10-1. Binghamton responded, scoring two runs in the seventh and eighth inning to take game one with a final score of 12-1. In game two of the weekend series, Binghamton topped the Hawks with a score of 6-2. After taking a six run lead through the first five innings of play, Hartford showed their willingness to fight in the top of the sixth inning. After junior Jackson Olson doubled to right center field and made it to third on a balk, freshman Devin Kellogg stepped up with two outs and hit a beauty to left field to score Olson. Senior Chris Sullivan continued the Hawk’s momentum with a single down the left field line, setting up junior Zachary Ardito with runners on first and second. Ardito came in clutch at the plate, doubling to right field and scoring Kellogg to cut the Beavers lead to four with a score of 6-2. Unfortunately, this was as close as Hartford would get to tightening the Bearcat’s lead, as Binghamton went on to win game two of the series with a final score of 6-2. The final game of the America East matchup on Sunday, April 28 was a nailbiter. Both teams were unable to score through the first six innings, but Binghamton scored the lone run of the game in the seventh inning. Hartford fought for a spot on the scoreboard in the ninth inning when freshman pinch runner Donnie Cohoon used his speed to steal second base, after sophomore Drew DeMartino was hit by a pitch. Things got scary for the Bearcats after junior Robert Carmody walked, putting runners on first and third. Despite the hard fought effort, the Hawks were unable to capitalize, as the Bearcats secured game three of the series with a final score of 1-0.