Do not fear failure

Chaz Young, Sports Editor

No matter what challenges you face in life, you should not be afraid of failure. Stand tall, keep your head up high, and deal with whatever may come your way. There’s no age on success, as well no limits to what you can do with your life. Be who you are, as only you can be you. As a sophomore student in college, I have to overcome my insecurities everyday. I am still working on my confidence level, both academically and emotionally, but I am taking one step at a time. When I entered college over a year ago, I did not know what to expect, as is the case with many new students. I was just so scared of everything and didn’t know what was to be of me. My first year I was coming fresh off an awful senior year in high school and didn’t really have anything to fall back on. But through my first semester of my freshman year, not only did I gain my confidence back, but I was comfortable in who I was as a person. Just as things were looking up. I then had a very challenging second semester of my freshman year. I had professors inform me I was not meant for journalism, due to my writing abilities, even though I worked for the student newspaper and news station on my campus. The more I tried in my academics the worse it got. My GPA went down, my confidence was shattered, and I had no faith in myself. The summer before my sophomore year, I realized that as life goes on, the challenges only get harder. This breakthrough is the reason why I won’t be afraid to fall.  The way I saw it, I just had to get back-up and keep trying. If I did not succeed the first time, I would come back and try twice as hard the second. You cannot be hard on yourself, and just keep battling the failures until you get it right. When you think you cannot do something, just roll with the punches until it turns out better. Eventually, you will get through all the challenges and rise to the occasion.  Once you experience this, there really is no other feeling like it in the world.  I believe in you.

PHOTO COURTESY OF MEDIUM.COM