Where’s the concert?

Asia Arce, Editor in Chief

With so many changes that seem to be happening this year, one would think the University would have changed the way they began the new school semester. Word had gotten around last year amongst the students, that the University was going to hold a concert during Alumni Weekend. However, once the new calender came out for this year’s weekend, there was no concert in sight. To close out this weekend, the University will be doing fireworks for the second year in a row. If I were apart of CAT, the Campus Activities Team, I would have suggested that before the fireworks signal the end of that eventful weekend, a concert should take place. I believe it is only fair seeing as there was not a concert last year during Spring Fling.

Having a fall concert is not even a rare event for any university. A lot of other campuses, both in and outside of Connecticut, have two concerts per school year: one for fall and one for spring. I understand that there might not have been enough money to do two separate concerts, but that is not what I am suggesting. Just having one concert during the school year would suffice. It would have been nice if this was planned at the end of last school year. If the school had chosen an artist and made it known that donations would be needed to ensure that the concert would happen, I am fairly certain that students would have saved up to afford attendance at such an event.

Having a fall concert would be a nice change to the university. In all of my four years being here, concerts were a spring time ordeal. Yes, it was fun, but the mud always caused complications. Either people would slip, or your shoes would be completely ruined by the end of it. In the fall, the weather is nice and it does not rain as much, so mud should not be an issue. Since it is too late for a concert now, I do hope that for Spring Fling (my last one) that there will finally be a concert.  Whether it be in the Spring or Fall, I wish the University would host a concert for its hard working students.

IMAGE COURTESY OF MARK EUSTICE