Hartt Composers’ Seminar Welcomes Javier Colon

Adam Lenz, Program Coordinator

We are very honored to welcome Professor Javier Colon to Hartt Composers’ Seminar on Wednesday, March 3 at 5 p.m. Professor Colon is a songwriter, vocalist, and guitarist and was the winner of the inaugural season of NBC’s hit show, The Voice. As an alumnus of The Hartt School, he is joining us this year on the part-time faculty in composition. Professor Colon will discuss his music, career, and approach to songwriting. 

This event is free and will be presented remotely on Zoom. Members of our campus community are welcome to join our students for this event. To learn more about Professor Colon’s work, please see the bio below and visit:  www.javiercolon.com.

Click here to hear Professor Colon’s song “Gravity.”

Join us Wednesday, March 3 at 5 p.m.

Zoom Meeting Link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89590016397?pwd=UXB1ZkFGT2JhcWI0amVDaDFtWmNPQT09

Meeting ID: 895 9001 6397
Passcode: Gravity

A distinguished alumnus of The Hartt School, singer-songwriter-guitarist Javier Colon was introduced to millions of TV viewers as the winner on the inaugural season of NBC’s The Voice.’ While a student at The Hartt School, he founded an acapella R&B quintet that performed at Harlem’s legendary Apollo Theater. Soon after graduating from Hartt with a degree in Music Education, he became the lead singer of the neo-funk group EmCQ. When EmCQ opened for funk-jazz luminaries Soulive, Javier’s talents drew the attention of Soulive guitarist Eric Krasno, whose recommendation led to him becoming lead singer of the Derek Trucks Band. In 2003, he released his first solo album, Javier, on Capitol Records, following Left of Center in 2006. After Colon’s win on The Voice, he received a recording contract with Universal Republic Records yielding the well-received album Come Through for You and the EP A Very Acoustic Christmas. Colon released his album Gravity in 2016 on Concord Records. Other recent engagements have included a run of shows in Japan with renowned jazz saxophonist Dave Koz and a series of concerts in Mexico and South America with Maroon 5.