Tips For Dealing With Mental Health: Avoid the All-Nighters

Image Courtesy of Classroom Clipart

Image Courtesy of Classroom Clipart

Kayla Boggs, Staff Writer

With the semester coming to an end this week’s tip is more of part two to last weeks. Avoiding all-nighters to study for exams or to do a project is very important for mental health as well as the outcome of these exams and projects. Pulling an all-nighter, using the nighttime hours to study instead of sleep, has many negative effects. It can hurt academic performance, has been linked to weight gain, depression, illness, skin issues, and mood swings, and none of these are fun.

Like mentioned last week sleep deprivation leads to irritability which causes more stressors in our daily life and affects mental health but if the reason to stay up is to do well on an exam pulling an all-nighter might have the opposite effect leading to even more of an effect on mental health. Most people need seven to eight hours of sleep and when we get less than that it starts to show in performance on learning and memory-based tasks.

Students typically decide to pull all-nighters when they need to rapidly cram information for an exam but trying to do it during this time only activates short-term memory when long-term memory is needed to actually retain the information.  By only taking in this information with short-term memory it can be forgotten in hours or even just minutes which is counter-productive to do well on an exam. With a combination of sleep deprivation factors and not performing well academically all-nighters are not worth the toll they can have on your mental health.

Taking a little bit of time to study each day helps retain the information because of repetition, but if a last-minute cram session is needed using the morning before, after getting a good night’s sleep will be much more beneficial for your mental health and your grade.