Men’s Lacrosse Holds On For Second Straight Victory

Image Courtesy of Hartford Hawks.com

Image Courtesy of Hartford Hawks.com

T.J. Hummel, Sports Editor

The Hartford Men’s Lacrosse team hosted NJIT this past weekend on Al-Marzook field. Sophomore Anthony Sericolo and freshman Ethan Landymore lead the Hawks on the day, posting up incredible numbers throughout the game. Scoring their second straight win, Hartford improved to 2-5 on the season while NJIT fell to 1-8.

The Hawks hit the ground running following the opening face-off, netting three goals in rapid succession, taking an early lead. The Highlanders were not going to go down easy as they scored two goals to bring themselves within one before the end of the first quarter. Hartford eyed to keep the momentum high when the second quarter started. The Hawks shot out to a big, four-goal lead, courtesy of Anthony Sericolo. Both teams would keep the score at 8-4 heading into halftime.

Hartford kept rolling after the half, Ethan Landymore scored his third goal of the contest, pushing the Hartford lead up to 9-4 with 12 minutes left in the third quarter. NJIT would answer with two quick goals to bring the deficit to 9-6. The Hawks wouldn’t let NJIT get too comfortable and put a halt to their comeback attempt. The team went up by six (12-6) with a 3-0 run, with goals scored by freshman Tommy Ramsey, Senior Carter O’Connell, and Landymore.

With the final quarter on tap, Hartford looked to keep the Highlanders at ease and they did so in style. Pushing their lead out to as many as seven, thanks to sophomore Patrick Lanigan and Ramsey, who struck paydirt at the 6:36 and 3:12 marks. Hartford conceded two late goals to the Highlanders, but it was too little, too late. The Hawks held on to win by a final score of 14-9.

The Men’s Lacrosse team will be back in action on Saturday, April 24th, as they host Umass Lowell. This will be the final regular-season home game for the Hawks and there will be a pregame Senior Day Ceremony to honor the graduating seniors. Face-off is set for 2 P.M. on Al-Marzook field at Alumni Stadium.