The End?

via+pinterest.com

via pinterest.com

Andrew Prokop, Managing Editor

The final weeks are upon us. As many of us are drowning in exam prep, final projects, research papers, and other various responsibilities, it is difficult to reflect on the past year. For some of us, though, it is not about not being able to reflect, but rather about us not being able to enjoy the last few days with the people who have become our closest friends throughout a college experience full of trials and tribulations. Some significant decisions of your life were made right with the people who grew from classmates to family. In a way, I am fortunate that one of my responsibilities is to write these articles, forcing me to take a moment to look back and remember all of the wonderful times but even more so the bad times.  

I firmly believe that it is the lows in life that make you cherish the highs. Everything is relative. Without pain, there is no comfort. Without winter, summer wouldn’t be as welcomed or vice versa. The late nights in the library struggling through whatever equations or writing happened to be on the agenda for that night. While it sounds miserable on the surface, the inside jokes and memories built through that struggle (not to mention actually finishing the assignment) make it worthwhile. Looking back, I realize that the tough times, while they sucked at the moment, were the most critical times for my future. Pulling an all-nighter to finish many assignments while it may be awful at the moment meant that, tomorrow, I had less to worry and stress about. Life will not get easier, but we will all get tougher.  

That same mindset seems to be ever-present this year. That while it may suck right now, the work will be worth it in the long haul. From Covid to my final academic year, everything seems to be in anticipation of what has yet to come. That being said, I can’t wait to see what the next year has in store, not just for myself but all of us. Knowing that as the patience through Covid will lead to packed venues and events with people more eager than ever to get back to what we know and love. Knowing that all the little things we once took for granted, like seeing each other smile or handshakes, will become as amazing as a child watching a magic act. For new students, knowing that the relationships you worked to build in a difficult situation will be allowed to flourish in the coming semester. For my fellow graduates, all the hard work through your college career will finally pay off. The hope that all of these things will come true is the most valuable thing someone can have because, without the hope that tomorrow will be better, none of this matters anyway.  

In closing, I want to leave you all with my senior quote from high school. The quote is important because it shows that growth does not stop after a certain point, but rather continues to push us to achieve more than we thought was possible. It teaches us to push the boundary to make sure that tomorrow really is better. Even after my entire college experience, it rings true with me to this day, “All I know now; is how much I still have to learn.”