Lamont will Sign New Bills to take Effect this Week

Image via courant.com

Tyler Dyer, News Editor

Starting this Friday there will be several new laws going into effect in Connecticut. Those include laws for Marijuana growing, a seatbelt requirement, a New Pedestrian Safety law, Inoperable traffic signs, Ice Cream Truck Safety Law, Bottle Fee for Mini Bottles of Alcohol, and Breastfeeding in the Workplace. Among the dozens of new laws, there are also statutes that will make it easier for nursing home patients to communicate virtually with family members and new rules surrounding the reporting of sexual misconduct on campus. 

Not all these new laws will have immediate effect. While Connecticut residents can possess recreational marijuana, they won’t be able to buy it for at least a year. Adults 21 or older will be able to possess and smoke recreational marijuana legally. Medical marijuana patients will be able to grow up to 3 mature and 3 immature plants at home starting October 1, 2021, with a cap of 12 total plants per household. All adults will be able to grow under the same rules starting July 1, 2023. They will be able to possess up to 1.5 ounces personally, while they can transport up to 5 ounces that must be locked in their car’s glove box or trunk. However, retail sales of marijuana are not expected in Connecticut at least until May 2022. The state will now work on the detailed process of regulations and licensing as they determine which applicants are eligible to be growers or retailer sellers.  

Other bills will also be enacted including the Ice cream truck safety law. This bill would require vehicles that sell ice cream to be equipped with a traffic signal and use it when stopped and selling ice cream. Other drivers would need to stop completely before passing the ice cream truck, and ice cream could only be sold when the truck is facing away from the travel lane of the roadway. All these bills will be enacted this coming Friday with the effects taking place at different times.