Athlete Profile: Cole Cayer

Photo Credits: Cole Cayer

Scott Morris, Staff Writer

This past weekend the Hartford Hawks Track and Field teams partook in the UMass Invitational in Amherst, Massachusetts. The Hawks had great performances, but junior Cole Cayer stole the show as he accomplished a new personal record in the 5k. He finished with a time of 15:22.87, and I wanted to hear directly from him how it felt to break his record. Cayer said that his previous personal best was 15:26, which he ran at the Valentine Invitational at Boston University during his freshman year. The new PR has been a long time coming, and he’s ecstatic that all the pieces finally came together and ran a great race. This has been an exciting season for the Hartford track team as every member who participated in the 5k ran their personal best of the year. Cayer stated this about his teammates’ feat: “Another one of my teammates won the 1500 and placed 2nd all-time in Hartford track and field history.” The team supports one another and wants to see each other succeed.
Along with participating on the track and field team Cole is also a member of STN2, a student-run television network. I wanted to see how he handled schoolwork, Track and Field, and STN2. Cayer responded by saying that it honestly hasn’t been as challenging as he expected. The biggest thing is staying organized and up to date with assignments. His days are usually hectic and jam-packed, but he finds time by staying organized and making sure he knows when assignments are due. Cayer is the perfect example of a well-rounded student-athlete because he truly knows how much he can handle and when it becomes too much. The next time Hartford’s track and field team will be in action is on April 9th, as they participate in the Wilton Wright Invitational in New Haven, Connecticut.