The Richard P. Garmany Chamber Music Series: Merz Trio

Lillian Wonderly, Entertainment Editor

On September 23, 2022, The Hartt School hosted the award-winning musical group, Merz Trio this past Thursday, September 22 in Millard Auditorium at 7:30 pm. Tickets were $25 each, but University of Hartford students, faculty, and staff received one free ticket. The Merz Trio are praised for their “fresh and surprising interpretations.”

The Trio consists of Brigid Coleridge on the violin, Julia Yang on the cello, and Lee Dionne on the piano. They are known for their passionate playing and uniquely artistic programming style. As skilled artists, they’re always interspersing classic trio works with interdisciplinary elements and using their own arrangements.

The Trio has made a sweep of recent U.S. chamber awards, taking top prizes at the 2021 Naumburg, 2019 Concert Artist Guild, 2019 Fischhoff, and 2018 Chesapeake Competitions. Upcoming debut appearances include performances at NYC’s Merkin Hall, Boston’s Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, and the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.

Whether it’s concerts or competitions, the most thrilling thing to experience is the “energetic communities that have emerged from them,” claims the Merz Trio. The Hartt School welcomes the UHart community to share this amazing experience. For tickets to upcoming Hartt events visit: https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?show=141241.