2022-23 Track Campaign Continues at River Hawk Invitational

Matthew Tomer, Sports Editor

This past weekend, the men’s and women’s indoor track and field campaign continued as they competed in the UMass Lowell Riverhawk Invitational. The Hawks competed along with 33 other teams at The Track at New Balance in Boston, Massachusetts.

On the men’s side of the competition, sophomore Riley Brutvan crossed the line in fifth place in the 5000m with a personal best time of 15:04.02. With over 120 runners competing throughout the weekend, freshman Isaiah Grupee and sophomore Kaden Leonard both finished in the top 25 in the 200m dash. In the field events, seniors Kyle Moser and Anthony Clavette both finished in the top ten of their respective events. Moser finished in eighth after throwing for a distance of 15.21m in the shot put, and Clavette finished ninth after clearing a height of 1.96m in the high jump.

On the women’s side of the competition, junior Abby O’Connor was the top finisher for the Hawks as she finished the 5000m event with a time of 18:17.09 for sixth place. Sophomore Marlina Voker continues to dominate the track as she finished inside the top ten with a final time of 25.62 seconds in the 200m dash. Finishing ninth overall in the 3000m event was senior Hailey Marcello. This was Marcello’s sixth straight top-ten finish over her last four times competing in the 3000m event.

Achieving their season-best times in their respective events was graduate student Haleemot Adeyanju and senior Hannah D’Orso. Adeyanju finished the 800m event with a final time of 2:17.94, and D’Orso darted across the finish line in the mile with a time of 5:19.11.

The Hawks will be in action once again in Boston on Thursday, February 2 at the New England Championships at the Reggie Lewis Center.