Thoughts on Gun Violence

Thoughts on Gun Violence

Haley Wright, Staff Writer

(This article contains sensitive content)

In light of what happened on campus on the week of February 5th, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the problems of gun violence across the country.

July 4, 2022: A shooting took place at Highland Park, Illinois. Seven people were killed and dozens of others were injured.

November 13, 2022: a shooting took place at the University of Virginia. Three UVA students were killed with an additional two wounded.

November 20, 2022: a shooting took place at an L.G.B.T.Q. nightclub in Colorado Springs. Five people were killed and an additional seventeen were injured.

November 22, 2022: a shooting took place at a Walmart in Chesapeake, Virginia. Six people were killed before the gunman took his life.

The Second Amendment provides citizens the right to bear arms, and many Americans own guns for protection. However, it is when guns are given to people who are unfit to carry that many issues arise. While background checks are in place, they can only do so much. A person may not have a criminal record, but there could be hints of a person’s dangerous behavior in a psychological examination. When it comes to background checks, mental health is typically not included since it is confidential information. Understanding a person’s mental well-being is a factor that can help keep them and others safe from harm. I believe that when it comes to owning a weapon, a psychological evaluation should be done.

On January 6, 2023, in Newport, Virginia, a 6-year-old student brought a gun to school and shot his teacher. When I first heard about this, my immediate thought was, how could this happen? How could a child get access to a gun and bring it to school no less? Systems that are meant to protect us, to allow citizens to protect themselves, seem to be failing across a multitude of areas.

These events barely cover the tip of the iceberg when it comes to gun violence across America, it barely covers a speck. As gun violence continues and becomes worse, it seems it’s causing some people to become desensitized to the violence. It seems shootings like these are becoming normalized and are blending into daily life as it remains prevalent in the media. Something needs to change, and it needs to change now.