Women’s Lacrosse Takes Down Mount St. Vincent

Matthew Tomer, Sports Editor

Women’s lacrosse took on the Mount St. Vincent Dolphins at home this past Saturday. Al Marzook field was looking like a true winter wonderland with all the snow, but that didn’t stop the Hawks from finding the back of the net.

The conditions had an impact on the game through the first frame of play, as Hartford led the game 2-1 going into the second quarter. Despite a low-scoring affair in the first, the floodgates opened right up for the Hawks as they outscored the Dolphins 9-1 in the second frame. Hartford held an 11-2 lead going into the break and would hold onto their lead for the rest of the game. As the snow fell harder, the conditions got worse. After a high-scoring second quarter, only four goals were scored in the third. With the conditions getting worse, the referees decided to call the game, giving Hartford the win 14-3, moving them forward to 2-0 on the season. The ability to break past the defense and score goals has played significant role in Hartford’s recent success.

Graduate student Lily Belle Baker led the Hawks in total points with two goals and four assists. For the Hawks, six goals were scored in total. Lenaijah Ferguson, junior, scored four goals in the last period, giving her two games in row with four goals. With three goals of her own, sophomore captain Meghan Smith scored her second hat trick of the year. Senior Hanna Ramsey was the Hawks’ goalie. With four stops, Ramsay earned her second victory in goal, giving her a.571 overall save percentage.

Hartford will be headed down the road to face off against Central Connecticut State University later this afternoon. Faceoff is set for 3 p.m.