Conor Convery Breaks School Record at UMass Invite

Scott Morris, Staff Writer

On Saturday, the Hartford men’s and women’s track and field teams continued their 2023 outdoor season as they traveled to the UMass Commonwealth Invite. There were 17 members of the Hawks that placed within the top five in their events, including a Hawk who even broke the school record. Highlights for the men included seven top-five finishers, including sophomore Conor Convery, who shattered his school record in the hammer throw with a distance of 50.79 meters.

In addition, senior Uchenna Duru finished the day as the runner-up in the discus throw with a season-best 46.59 meters, only.12 meters off his school record that he set back in 2021 at the America East Championship meet. Senior Anthony Clavettte took home the gold medal in the high jump for the third straight meet after he cleared a height of 1.98 meters, and sophomore Joseph Lothamer finished second overall in the pole vault after he tied the school record of 4.25 meters.

Transitioning to the women’s highlights for the event, there were 10 top-five finishers, including two who finished on the podium. Graduate student Haleemot Adeyanju finished first in the 800 meters after she recorded a season-best time of 2:18:02. The women’s 4×100 meter relay, which featured junior Emily Parchinski, sophomores Cali Leonard and Marlina Voker, and freshman Jenascia Weir, combined to run the fourth fastest time in program history at 48.26 seconds.

The Hawks track and field team will be in action next as they travel to Baltimore, Maryland, to partake in the Loyola Invitational. For all updates on next week’s invitational, make sure to check out www.hartfordhawks.com.