The University welcomes prominent author, Zachary R. Wood

Christiana Lenzer, Staff Writer

The Rogow Distinguished Visiting Lectures program at the University of Hartford showcased Zachary R. Wood at the Lincoln Theater on February 4, 2019, at 3 p.m., where he spoke about “Managing Conflict: Building Understanding and Cooperation in the Face of Discomfort”. Admission was complimentary but tickets were required for the event.

Washington, DC, native, Wood’s astounding publications only partially reflect his accomplishments, hailing as a columnist and assistant opinion editor at The Guardian, a Robert L. Bartley Fellow at The Wall Street Journal, free speech advocate, and a 2018 graduate of Williams College. His recent work has appeared in acclaimed journals such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and The Huffington Post.

In his book, ‘Uncensored,’ Wood shares details of his own personal story that have never surfaced to the public prior to the publication. He draws from his troubled upbringing in Washington, DC, as a young black child. By sharing his story, Wood makes a compelling argument for a new way of interacting with others as he presents a new outlook on conversational practices in regard to some of society’s most difficult conversations. 

In his TED talk “Why it’s worth listening to people you disagree with,” Wood capitalizes the importance that we hold not only in our speech, but in our ears. He expresses, “Through engaging, I believe that we may reach a better understanding, a deeper understanding, of our own beliefs and preserve the ability to solve problems, which we can’t do if we don’t talk to each other and make an effort to be good listeners… it’s my belief that to achieve progress in the face of adversity, we need a genuine commitment to gaining a deeper understanding of humanity”.

Wood aims towards educating college students to expand their beliefs and open their minds to peers, professors, and even family members, claiming that it does not necessarily mean agreeing with them, but instead having a deeper understanding of each other’s perspective. 

This program was presented by the University of Hartford Presidents’ College and the Trinity College Academy of Lifelong Learning, in collaboration with the University of Hartford’s Presidents’ Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.