Women’s lacrosse falls short in their first game of the season

Megan Miller, News Editor

The Hartford women’s lacrosse team started off their second season in program history at Army West Point against the Black Knights. Both teams played hard, however, Army came out on top by a score of 22-5. Manuela Cortes started off Army’s offense during this game, scoring within the first 11 seconds. Samantha Stewart knocked in another goal 33 seconds later to give Army the lead. Hartford’s first goal was scored by sophomore Lauren Wehner at 11:25 in the first half. Around two minutes later, rookie Jessica Harrison, put in her first career goal to make the score 2-12.

In goal, sophomore Cassidy Hock had her career-best of 15 saves in net for the black and red matchup. Following a hard shot to Hock, rookie goalkeeper Emma Privitera stepped into her first collegiate game for 10 minutes and totaled four saves. Offensively, Hartford had five different goal-scorers during this game off of just nine total shots, all being on goal. Megan Miller totaled two points, with one goal and one assist. Fellow sophomores Debbie Phillips and Emily Steele tallied one goal as well. Freshman Suzanna Cantwell statistically led the defense with three ground balls.

The Hawks struggled with time of possession in West Point, N.Y. Army managed to get 21 draw controls to dominate the game offensively while Hartford had seven draw controls. After this game, Army advances to a 3-0 record, while Hartford starts off their season 0-1.

Next up for Hartford is their home opener against CCSU on Feb. 20 at 3 p.m. on Al-Marzook Field. Last time Hartford faced off against the Blue Devils they came up short.

On Wednesday, Hartford looks to grab their first win of the season to get the ball rolling and shock the Hartford Athletic community this season.

During the season Hartford matches up to other big names such as Boston University, Yale, Stony Brook, and Albany.