Women’s basketball secures 10 straight wins

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

A very dominant win for the University of Hartford’s women’s basketball team, with their win over Vermont last Saturday. This makes 10 straight wins for the Lady Hawks in the American East. The final score being 76-48, with senior Lindsey Abed scoring a game high 21 points.

The Lady Hawks now have a 17-9 overall record this season and are 10-2 in conference games. Hannah Crymble and Courtney Wright scored nine points apiece for the Vermont squad. The game was close until the third quarter when the Hawks completely outscoring them 24-7 and then kept the momentum going as they went up to as much as 34 points during the fourth quarter. With this win the Lady Hawks are guaranteed to hold a home playoff game.

The Hawks will host the American East Quarterfinal game on March 6 at 7 P.M. Lindsey Abed has now scored in double figures in eight of the last nine games, and the fifth time she has scored over 20 points. Sophomore Jade Young added 16 along with Junior Sierra D’Acosta and senior Alexia Douglas scoring 13 and 11 respectively. The Lady Hawks scored a season high 44 points in the paint.

The Hawks also score 36 points on Vermont’s 28 turnovers, the Hawks have now scored 30 or more points on turnovers seven times this season.

With another dominate win the Lady Hawks look to cruise into the playoffs, could this be the year where they take the nation by surprise come March?

The Lady Hawks look to hold down the fort hosting three home games starting with New Hampshire on Wednesday. Tip-off Starts at 7 P.M.