Women’s basketball secures spot in the semi-finals on senior day

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

Hartford women’s hoops took a 69-45 victory on Saturday afternoon against UMass Lowell. Senior Lindsey Abed finished the game with 20 points and sophomore Jade Young earned her second consecutive double-double. The Hawks are now 19-9 overall and 12-2 in conference games.

The Hawks started very slow starting the game on a 12-2 run. UMass continued its lead halfway through the second quarter, a pair of free throws from Young gave Hartford a 20-19 lead. After the Hawks took the lead the Hawks took control going on a 12-3 run and ended the half up 32-23. The Hawks continued their domination outscoring the River Hawks 23-7 in the third quarter. The win for the Hawks continued their record in conference play sitting at second place in the American East a game back behind Maine.

Young registered 17 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double. Over the two games she averaged 16 points and 11.5 rebounds. Abed’s 20-point effort continued her streak of scoring in double digits to seven games, averaging 18.1 points per game during the streak.

Women’s hoops have now clinched home court advantage through the American East Semifinals. The Hawks as a team had 18 steals and scored 32 points off 28 turnovers by the River Hawks.

Women’s hoops finish its regular season home schedule on Wednesday against Binghamton. Tip off starts at 7 p.m. on ESPN+.