Baseball suffers heavy losses in Texas

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

A low scoring tragedy for Hawks baseball in game one. On March 1,  the Hawks struck first as sophomore Drew DeMartino and Nik Pagan both reached base safely. Following this, senior Drew Holtgrieve stepped in and hit a single up the middle for Pagan to score and give the Hawks the 1-0 lead. This would hold until the bottom of the fifth as the Wildcats scored on a throwing error to tie the game at one a piece. The game would come to a devastating end as Claborn of the Wildcats came up to bat with two on in the bottom of the ninth. His single plated the winning run taking the 2-1 win and the first game of the series. Sophomore Nicholas Dombkowski matched his career high with 10 strikeouts. Game two and three was a different story line but similar endings for the Hawks as they ended up falling 11-7, and 8-7. Game two had a lot more excitement, Abilene Christian leading 6-4 heading into the top of the fifth caused the Hawks to jump on the gas as they put up three runs taking a 7-6 lead. The lead was short lived as the Wildcats would answer with three runs in the bottom of the sixth and two more in the bottom of the eighth to take game two with a final score of 11-7. Game three brought another heartbreaker for the Hawks as they fought to come back from a 6-0 deficit. The first five innings were not fun for the Hawks, but they began to chip away starting in the top of the sixth putting up three runs, and four in the seventh to take a 7-6 lead. Claborn of the Wildcats was the hero once again scoring the tying run in the seventh with a sacrifice fly, and again hitting a ball far enough in the bottom of the ninth to score Dalon Farkas giving Abilene Christian the series sweep with an 8-7 final score. The Hawks are looking to get something going this year and are set to play CCSU on Wednesday March 6, starting at 3 p.m.