Women’s basketball secures spot in the AE championship

Mason Brooks, Staff Writer

For the second year in the row, the Hartford Women’s Basketball team will be playing in the America East Conference Championship game, following their 64-59 victory over the Stony Brook Seawolves Sunday, March 10.

Stony Brook had control of the game early, jumping out to a 12-7 lead by the end of the first quarter. Entering the second quarter, the Seawolves again came out strong as they were able to extend the lead to eight on two occasions. There were signs of life by the Hawks about halfway through the period as they cut into the lead, bringing it down to a three point contest. However, Stony Brook regained composure scoring the last four of the half.

Down 26-19, Hartford blasted back in the third quarter. With a minute remaining, the Hawks took a one point lead off of a Lindsey Abed layup, their first lead since the first. Heading into the final quarter with a 40-39 and some renewed confidence, Hartford fought fiercely in the fourth. The quarter opened with three lead changes before graduate student Ella Awobajo nailed a three pointer for Hartford with eight minutes remaining. From here, the Hawks never looked back and finished the game 64-59 over the Seawolves.

The stadium erupted with cheering and applause as the women walked off their home court for the final time this season. With their win, the Hartford Women’s Basketball team will be playing for the conference championship for the second consecutive year. Last season, the Hawks fell to Maine, but will get another shot with a rematch.

Second seeded Harford will be traveling to take on the first seeded Maine Black Bears Friday, March 15, at 5p.m.  If the Hawks can get a win here, they will advance to the national tournament. Tune in Friday at 5p.m. to ESPNU to watch this exciting matchup and support your Hawks.