Men’s LAX falls to Vermont

Mason Brooks, Staff Writer

The Hartford Men’s Lacrosse team took on the University of Vermont Catamounts Saturday, March 23, in Burlington VT.  Vermont opened up strong in the first quarter, finishing with a 4-0 lead over the Hawks.  In the second quarter, the Catamounts kept it rolling as they pushed their lead up to 9-0 going into halftime.  The Hawks remained scoreless in the third as well as Vermont continued to dominate, racking up a 12-0 advantage entering the final quarter.  Finally, in the fourth quarter the Hawks were able to get something going.  In just 34 seconds, Senior Alex Borja ended Hartford’s scoring drought with a goal. This kickstarted the Hawks in the final period as they would go on to a 5-1 run before Vermont scored the final two goals of the game.  At the final whistle, the Vermont Catamounts defeated the Hartford Hawks by a score of 15-6.Impressive performances for Hartford came from Alex Borja, and junior Owen Trepeta, who each scored two goals a-piece. Other goals were scored by junior Ty Thompson and Freshman Andrew Boniface with one goal each.  Senior Dylan Jinks led the team in points on the day with his three assists.  Rookie goalie Cam Logan also finished with an impressive 15 saves during the contest. After winning their first America East matchup of the season with a 12-11 victory against Stony Brook, the Hawks have dropped their last two with their overtime loss at Quinnipiac, and this 15-6 defeat to Vermont.  Now, the Hartford Hawks are sitting at 1-8 on the season with a 1-1 conference record. The next game for the Men’s Lacrosse team is Saturday, March 29, where the Hawks will be travelling to UAlbany to conclude their three game road stint.