Track has a Historic Day

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

The Men’s and Women’s track teams had quite the day at the River Hawk Invitational as two school records were broken and there were 12 top-five finishes. For the men’s rookies, Dylan Murad and Dalton Burnham each broke a school record to lead the men’s squad. Murad launched his shot-put 14.03m on his way to a fourth-place finish and new school record. Burnham pole vaulted 3.85m to break a school record of his own and earned a sixth-place finish. Freshman Ian Santiago earned the only first place finish for Hartford reaching a length of 13.76m in the triple jump. Sophomore Charles Tankeh finished the 100m dash runner up finishing with a time of 11.02. The 100m dash also had some other strong finishes from rookies Nelson Wyatt Jr. and Kaylan Dapas claiming fourth and fifth place. The 4x100m relay team of Wyatt Jr. Depas, Tankeh and Marckens Auguste took the title with a time of 41.95, which is the second fastest time in school history! The women’s squad had a pretty good day for themselves as freshman Haleemot Adeyanju and junior Olivia Rougeau each led the women’s team in third places finishes for their events. Adeyanju finished the 1,500m with a time of 4:55 and Rougeau high jumped 1.65m. Sophomore Elizabeth Lodge also competed well in her respective high jump, earning a top-five finish with a mark of 1.60m. The 4x100m and the 4x400m relay teams each earned second place honors. The 4x100m relay team which consisted of Brianna Harris, Nia Mills, Abby Myers, and Jaela Thomas finished with a time of 49.06 which is also second for on the all-time list for the University of Hartford. The Hawks return next Saturday, April 6, when they compete in the Minutemen Invitational, hosted by UMass.