Women’s Lacrosse Falls to UMBC

Megan Miller, News Editor

In the home stretch of their season, the Hartford women’s lacrosse team hosted the UMBC Retrievers on Saturday, April 6, on Al-Marzook Field. Draw controls were not enough to give the Hawks their first America East Conference win in their program history. Sophomore Kaitlyn D’Andrea led the draw team with five draw controls to get the ball down to the Hawks offense. However, Hartford couldn’t convert on their opportunities to score.

The Retrievers took this game by a score of 16-1 and improve to 3-1 in the Conference with the victory. Much like other games, the Hawks couldn’t seem to get started in the first half. UMBC scored 12 unanswered goals in the first half to seal their victory over the Hawks.

The Hartford defense only allowed the Retrievers to score four times within the second half but their offense could only find the back of the net once. Rookie Jordan Smith scored her fourth goal of the season, preventing a Retriever shutout on the Hawks. In net, rookie goalie Emma Privitera registered 12 saves during her 60 minutes this game. This wasn’t enough to shut down the UMBC offense which was led by four players who all recorded four points apiece.

The team has three games left on the season with the next game at SUNY Binghamton, who holds a conference record of 1-3, on Saturday, April 13, at 4 p.m.

Next up on Al-Marzook is a Hartford-UAlbany matchup on Saturday, April 20 at 12 p.m.