Track and Field Continues Impressive Season at Dartmouth

Mason Brooks, Sports Editor

The Hartford Track and Field teams travelled to Hanover, N.H. Friday, April 12, to compete at the Dartmouth Quad Meet, hosted by Dartmouth College.  The men’s team continued its impressive season with two first place finishes Friday.  Sophomore Victor Shapovalo extended his unbeaten streak to three meets with his throw of 54.98m in the javelin.  Junior Connor Kenny secured the other first place for the Hawks with his mark of 1.91m in the high jump.  Two competitors on the men’s team also brought home runner-up honors.  Junior Peter McNally finished second with his 1.86 mark in the high jump, and freshman Keon Cooper grabbed silver with his javelin mark of 54.81m.  To round it out, the men saw two third-place finishes.  Senior Nurlan Herburger took third in the 3,000m steeple with a time of 9:41, while freshman Kaylan Depas earned third with his time of 22.40 in the 200m.

The Hartford Women’s Track and Field team also competed hard, boasting three top eight finishes.  Sophomore Elizabeth Lodge earned third place in the high jump, recording a mark of 1.65m.  Freshman Jaela Thomas was able to secure fourth place honors in the 200m thanks to her time of 26.43.  Lastly, Freshman Haleemot Adeyanju finished eighth in the 400m, among a competitive field of 16, with her time of 59.66.

The Hartford Track and Field teams will return to action this Friday, April 19, when they compete at the Princeton Invitational.  Stay tuned as the Hawks begin to wrap up their season before the America East Championships.