Men’s Lacrosse tops Utah for Third Straight Win

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

The Hartford men’s lacrosse team performed well on Saturday, April 13, by defeating Utah for their third consecutive win. Utah broke out to a 5-1 lead with 12:18 to go in the second quarter, but Hartford didn’t let back down.  The Hawks came right back and outscored Utah by a margin of 5-1 through the rest of the period, making it 6-6 heading into halftime.

Three consecutive goals to open the second half gave Utah the 9-6 advantage. After the faceoff win following Utah’s goal with 15 seconds remaining, sophomore Justin Tkachuk scored for Hartford with just three seconds left in the quarter.

This momentum sparked a 5-0 run for the Hawks as they played into the final quarter which helped them hold the lead with 10:03 remaining in the contest.

Utah managed to pull within a goal on back-to-back offensive series with only 3:02, and 1:06 left. Thankfully, freshman Hunter Krauss gave the Hawks some breathing room scoring an empty net goal with 44 seconds left in the stanza to secure the win for the Hawks.

Sophomore attackman Christian Paley had an impressive day netting his third hat trick in four games to help the Hawks improve to 4-9 on the year. Freshman goalie Cam Logan had a solid performance in the net recording 15 saves. Freshman Andrew Boniface also racked up a three-point game for the Hawks, finishing with a goal and two assists. Junior Owen Trepeta, senior Alex Borja and Hunter Krauss all had productive offensive outings, contributing two goals apiece for the Hawks.

The three-game winning streak is the longest since the 2016 season for the men’s lacrosse squad.

Hartford resumes American East action with a trip to Binghamton on Saturday, April 20. Game time is set for 1 p.m.