Hartford drops Three Game Series to Bryant

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

The Hartford men’s baseball team faced off in a non-conference series against Bryant University over the weekend, losing all three.

Game one was the closest of the three with the final score being 8-5 in favor of the Bulldogs. Hartford started the scoring in the top of the second as freshman Devin Kellogg reached on an error. After Kellogg stole second, junior Bryce Walker brought him in with a single, giving the Hawks an early 1-0 lead. Sophomore John Thrasher singled to right scoring one, followed by a double from junior Zachary Ardito.  These back to back RBI’s gave Hartford the 3-0 lead. However, an eight run bottom of the third by the Bulldogs, put Hartford in the hole. The Hawks would score two more runs in the remaining innings, but simply could not dig their way back.

Game two was a tough one for the Hawks.  After Bryant had taken a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first, Hartford answered in the top of the second with a run of their own to make it 1-1. It was all downhill from here however, as the Bulldogs took control of the game by outscoring the Hawks 9-1 over the next three innings.  Coasting to the finish, Bryant continued their rout of the Hawks finishing with a final score of 15-4.

The Hawks started off hot in game three, but watched it slip out of their hands as the innings passed by.  Hartford came out swinging, putting up two runs in the top of the first thanks to some key baserunning. The Bulldogs put up a run of their own in the bottom of the first, but the Hawks answered immediately with a score, making it a 3-1 game entering the bottom of the second. After a brief lull in offense, Bryant blew the game open in the fourth inning, scoring seven runs and continuing their batting prowess until the very end of the game.  This one ended with a final score of 15-6 in Bryant’s favor.