Men’s lacrosse falls to UMBC on senior day

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

On Saturday, April 27, the Hartford men’s lacrosse celebrated senior day against UMBC, but sadly fell short in a 11-9 loss. This one was a very disappointing loss for the Hawks as a win would have secured them the last spot in the America East conference playoff. Both Hartford and UMBC entered the game holding a 4-11 overall record, and a 2-4 record in American East play. This game was the last for the Hawks’ eight seniors, Claude Bradshaw, Alex Borja, Zach Elkinson, Cam Garinger, Dylan Jinks, Nolan Little, Brian Mills and Stefan Zandbergs.

The Retrievers would start the game off on a high-note as multiple first stanza penalties by Hartford helped them. Taking a 3-2 edge by going 3 for 3 on the extra man offense. Hartford would go on a 2-0 run to take the lead which was quickly answered by the Retrievers. Freshman Hunter Krauss, and Jinks each put up one of their own in back to back strikes to give the Hawks a 6-5 lead with under a minute left in the first half. UMBC would not let the Hawks hold the advantage going into the half however, as they scored two times in the final 10 seconds of half holding a 7-6 lead at the end of it. The Retrievers would start the scoring in the second half as Michael Zichelli made it a 8-6 game with 11:13 left in the third. The Hawks wouldn’t be deterred, as they pulled within one on two different occasions. The Retrievers would score two of the last three goals and sealed the win, advancing to the America East tournament.

Dylan Jinks had a pair of goals in his final game and finished his career fifth all time in assists (73), sixth in points (176) and ten in goals (103) in Hartford men’s lacrosse history. Freshman Cam Logan also made a game best 10 saves for the Hawks. Best of luck to the seniors in whatever their future holds after graduation.  The Hawks will look to revamp their roster over the offseason to make a run for the America East conference championship next year.