Softball drops non conference matchup

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

The Hartford softball team had some non-conference action against Fairfield University on Sunday, April 28. This one was a disappointing game for the Hawks, as they fell 4-0 and only managed four hits on the day. The Hawks saw their best scoring opportunity in the top of the first, following a double by sophomore Danielle Rocheleau. Freshman Brooklyn Aboulhosn pinch ran for Rocheleau and was moved to third on a ground out to second base. However, Hartford couldn’t turn the opportunity into a scoring one, as Fairfield survived the inning without giving up a run. The first runs of the game for the Stags came in the third inning as a two-run triple from Mikayla Rubin gave them the lead. A groundout to the pitcher scored Rubin from third to make the Stags lead 3-0 going into the fourth. Fairfield added one more run to their lead and held the Hawks to one hit over the final four innings of the game. Danielle Rocheleau hit a milestone during the contest  with her 100th hit in her young career, and leads the American East in hits with 62 on the season. Danielle is also batting .443 on the season with 33 RBI’s. Another bright spot at this point in the year is that Hartford softball has 18 wins on the season, which is their largest win total since 2013. The Hawks look to bounce back as they play in their final series of the season against UMBC.