Baseball takes conference series win over UMBC

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

The University of Hartford men’s baseball team took the series against UMass Lowell on May 3 and May 4. Game one was a tough battle as it was a pitchers duel. Unfortunately, the Hawks ended up losing this one in extra innings. UMass Lowell scored the first run of the game in the fourth, as Cam Climo hit his first homerun of the day over the left field wall to give them a 1-0 lead. That lead would hold until the bottom of the ninth, when Hartford rallied to put two runners on base leading to an RBI single by senior Ashton Bardzell, bringing around sophomore John Thrasher from second base to tie the game up at 1 apiece. The Hawks would go on to load the bases, but their inability to capitalize ultimately cost them the game. The top of the tenth was not friendly to Hartford as they gave up four runs after a brief rain delay. Thrasher would take it to a two run game in the bottom of the tenth with a two-run shot, which was the last of the Hawks game one scoring. The final score in this one was 5-3 in the River Hawks’ favor.

Game two was a better one for the Hawks as they started the scoring in the bottom of the first with a two-out, solo shot by Bardzell. The River Hawks tied the scoring in the top of the second, but it was quickly answered by the Hawks with an RBI single from Thrasher. UMass Lowell wouldn’t back down, as they took a 3-2 lead in the top of the fourth with two runs of their own.  Hartford wasn’t going to let the game slip away as they put up a four spot in the bottom of the inning. Hartford advantage of 6-3 was then added on to with an RBI double from junior Zachary Ardito, putting the Hawks up 7-3.  This lead held until the conclusion of game two, as the Hawks bested the River Hawks, 7-3.

Game three was more quiet than game two, as the first runs of the contest didn’t happen until the bottom of the fourth, with two coming across from an RBI by Thrasher and a throwing error by the UMass Lowell second basemen. Hartford would add to their lead taking a 5-0 advantage which would go unanswered until the top of the seventh. The River Hawks put up 3 runs in the seventh inning, closing the score to 5-3.  This lead would be good enough for the Hawks to finish out the win and take the America East series. With their two wins over UMass Lowell, Hartford improves to 16-28 on the season and 9-9 in American East play.  The Hartford baseball team takes on a series against the Maine Black Bears this weekend starting Saturday, May 11 at home.