Student-Athletes honored at annual Awards Banquet

Justin Schmidt, Staff Writer

The University of Hartford held its annual Athletics Honors Night, Tuesday, April 30. This event helps celebrate academic success for the Hawks and honor those who grind on and off the field. Student athletes, their coaches, administrators, family and campus community members attended the event. The opening remarks from the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee President, Montrashay Worley, helped set the mood for the event.

Hartford also inducted its second-ever Chi Alpha Sigma class, which is a non-profit organization that helps recognize student-athletes who excel on and off the field. To join the organization, they must be a junior with a 3.4 cumulative grade point average.

This year’s class included 52 Hartford student athletes. Presidential Scholars are given to seniors achieving a 3.75 GPA or higher, and this list included Billy Mclaughlin of women’s lacrosse, Ashley Claud, of women’s soccer, Paulina Modestow, of women’s volleyball, Amanda Hamel of women’s cross country and track and field and Melissa Pereira, of softball.

Men’s cross country increased their team GPA from 2.96 to 3.12 and women’s golf improved from 3.10 to 3.35. The men’s and women’s teams honored for the highest GPAs were men’s basketball with a 3.20 and women’s soccer with an astounding 3.68.

The women’s Junior Scholar Athlete award was presented to Karoline Peterson, a member of the soccer team boasting a perfect 4.0. The male recipient was Fredrik Ekman, who has a 3.98 cumulative GPA.

The Edward Weinswig outstanding senior scholar athlete award went to Billy Mclaughlin from women’s lacrosse and Bami Adu from men’s soccer. They host a 3.91 and 3.67 cumulative GPA respectively.

The All-Conference and All-Region honoree’s were quite packed.  Jenna Bridges won American East Player of the year for volleyball, the first time any player in program history to ever win it.

Baseball swept the board, winning America East Player of the Year, Pitcher of the Year, Rookie of the Year and Coach of the Year. In addition Maria Loza won 2019 MAAC individual Champion, and 2018 MAAC Rookie of the Year.

Alexia Douglas won American East Sixth player of the year for women’s basketball.

The Hartford men’s and women’s basketball teams both had individuals who took home Athlete of the Year honors as Lindsey Abed won Athlete of the Year for women, and JR Lynch won Athlete of the Year for men.