Five shows to binge watch during the semester

Danielle Hart, Staff Writer

If you are a college student, then it is my assumption that you have probably binge watched at least two or more television shows on any streaming platform, including the industry powerhouse Netflix. Over my three years here at the University of Hartford, I have done more than my fair share of procrastinating through Netflix. Here I have provided my five favorite programs to watch over and over again. The first is Gossip Girl. I know this show’s title may sound like it appeals exclusively to females, but for all the men out there I assure you it appeals to every audience. Gossip Girl  follows the scandalous lives of prissy teenagers from the Upper East Side. There are a total of 121 episodes spread over six seasons which gives you plenty of time to binge.  One of the main themes viewers can explore with Gossip Girl is family. Despite all the crazy drama that occurs, family is the one thing that connects all of the characters and provides a deep layer to the program.

Another amazing show to watch is Grey’s Anatomy. This show, created by Shonda Rhimes, revolves around the medical field and aspiring surgeon Meredith Grey. Over the course of its 15 seasons, Grey’s Anatomy proves itself to be more than just a basic hospital drama.  The show touches upon themes that are very relevant to today’s society. Some of the most controversial episodes include themes of active shooters, sexual orientation/ coming out stories, dealing with mental illness, substance abuse and domestic abuse, illegal immigrants and more. Within each episode, not only are the patients in the ER faced with trauma, but Meredith, and the whole cast are tested with their own mental and physical challenges. I firmly believe that if you binge watch Grey’s Anatomy it can strengthen understanding of sensitive subjects and opens your eyes to a dramatized version of goes on behind the scenes at a hospital.

My next favorite show to watch is The 100. Starting season one of The 100 was actually difficult for me because I am not usually interested in action packed sci-fi shows. As the show progressed, however, I began to find myself more and more invested in it. The story begins in space, where 100 juveniles under the age of 18 are deployed to Earth, 97 years after a nuclear explosion wipes out on the planet.  These 100 teens are basically sent down as lab rats to see if life is sustainable after Earth became irradiated. From there, the series follows these teens as they try to inhabit a semi-abandoned planet.  If you’re looking for a post-apocalyptic drama that leaves you hanging off your seat, The 100 is for you. Another good thing about The 100 is that there are still more episodes and seasons being renewed, so if you happen to start it now, the new season should be coming out on Netflix by the time you catch up!

A fourth show that I really have a deep love for is Jane the Virgin. Although Jane the Virgin ended rather abruptly with only six seasons for us to enjoy, it is still one of my favorites to rewatch. Jane Gloriana Villanueva, played by one of my favorite actresses, Gina Rodriguez, is a very religious Catholic Latina woman, who accidentally gets artificially inseminated by her doctor. The storyline follows Jane’s journey as she learns how to handle being a mother, goes through different relationships, and navigates her way through life. Also, similar to Gossip Girl, this romantic drama series includes so many examples of what family is all about. Jane’s mother, Xiomora, and her abuela, Alba, are two very strong characters who try to guide Jane in the right direction.

The final show that I highly recommend watching is, The Office. The first season, I have to admit was not the best. It was extremely difficult to get passed the first season and there is a reason for this.  The beauty of the show revolves around the characters and their relationships.  Therefore, once you power through the first season and learn the characters’ personalities, relationships and backgrounds, the whole series becomes absolutely hysterical. The Office just seems to have a way of bringing everyone together. I can remember one time in class, I saw someone with a “Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica” sticker and I thought to myself, “wow, i get that (lol).” And if you haven’t watched it and do not understand the reference, what are you waiting for? The Office is honestly the most iconic series to ever (in my opinion).

If you have never seen or heard any of these shows before, I suggest you get on it. Find a way to get Netflix, or some other way to stream these incredible programs, and you will not regret it.  These shows helped get me through three years of college stress, and they can do the same for you!

IMAGE COURTESY OF TIME.COM