Men’s soccer wins last two games to extend winning streak

Chaz Young, Sports Editor

The UHART men’s soccer team within the last several days face-up against UMBC and Saint Joseph’s. The Hawks went up against UMBC first at Al-Marzook Field at Alumni Stadium in West Hartford, Connecticut last Saturday on October 5th. Neither team scored a goal which resulted in a 0-0 draw, but extended their winning streak to eight games straight in the season so far. Goalkeeper Jimmy Slayton, a senior with the team who has received multiple awards for his performance over the year so far, recorded two saves on 13 shots of the game, which resulted in Slayton sixth shutout of the season. The game brought some thrills and chills to the field.

In the second half of the game as each team battle each other to scored, both sides saw various opportunities for each team to get on the board. However, each opportunity was denied by splendid saves from each goalkeeper. Even though neither team scored, both teams went home with a point in conference play. “The Hawks” extended their winning streak to eight games, since joining the Division 1 ranks, their winning streak goes on record as the longest it’s been since joining the rankings.

The Hawks didn’t finish just there. The team than travel to face-off against St. Joseph’s, which resulted in their ninth straight win and extend winning streak for the men. Kick-off was scheduled for 3 p.m. and after the first few minutes, the game was already in full swing. St. Joseph’s started off strong to dominate much of the first half, however, The Hawks came back even stronger with the game ended with a 2-2 draw and being their third consecutive win to end with a draw. Players Nick Benjamin and Kamer Huhiu were the only two players from The Hawks to score in the game. Sophomore player Kamer Huhiu tied the game-up and after sending the goalkeeper in the wrong direction, would whine up leveling the game 1-1 in the first half. Next up was Nick Benjamin, another sophomore player, who was in the right kicking position to send the ball straight into the net, resulted in the fame being tied at 2-2 after St. Joseph scored two points on the board within the first 50 minutes of the game. In addition to Nick Benjamin and Kamer Nuhiu, Benjamin scored his first goal since the beginning of September, while Nuhiu scored his third goal of the season.

It was revealed at the end of the match that Hartford held more advantages in overall shots, outshooting St. Joseph’s, 17-10. The Hawks will head back on the road for America East action, when they travel to Stony Brook, Long Island on Saturday, Oct. 11. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m. from Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium in New York.

The UHART men’s soccer team will next faced-off against Rutgers on Tuesday, October 15th. “The Hawks” will be back in West Hartford, Connecticut, battling once again on Al-Marzook Field, their home turf.

PHOTO CREDIT: STEVE MCLAUGHLIN