UHART Women’s Soccer gets rewarded

Chaz Young, Sports Editor

The women’s soccer team at the University of Hartford, competed in the Senior Day tournament, as they hosted Maine last week on Sunday, October 6th. Even though the team won the match against their competitors, the day as about honoring several senior students for their athletic abilities.

Prior to the kick-off of the game, the Hawks honor eight members of the class of 2019, in-which was a ceremony to congratulate the work of what senior players brought to on and off the field of soccer. The eight players that were celebrated were seniors Bridgette Alexander, Anna Cronin, Kaila Lozada, Sam Nelbach, Karoline Petersen, Madison Stabile, Sierra Stone, and last but not least, Skyler Vitiello. Each bringing their own honor of determination, commitment, excellence, and reliability.

In addition to Senior Day, senior player Sierra Stone was also awarded on Monday as the AE Offensive Player of the Week for the second time, just one of many awards that’s been giving out to the players of women’s soccer. Stone who is a native from Hebron, Connecticut, is and has been a key contributor to the Hawks offense during league tournaments. Herself who has scored 10 points in the America East action ranks fifth in the conference. Stone total six points to lead Hartford to a 2-0 record last week, netting each of the Hawks two goals in a 2-1 victory final against Vermont last week Thursday. The midfielder also put out a pair of assists, that led Hartford to a 2-1 defeat over Maine during Senior Day last Sunday. For the 2019-2020 season so far, Stone has lead the team with eight assists and 14 points, while her three goals are tied for second-most on the team. She enters this new week as the America East’s leader in assists and is second overall in points.

The women’s soccer team is currently on a short break as they all take in their latest accomplishments, however, the team will have to prepare for their next game which is scheduled for October 17th. That Thursday kick-off is set for 2:30 pm, the team will be battling Binghamton in Vestal, New York. The game will also be broadcast on ESPN+ for fans who can’t make it in person. The weather for the match as always is to be determined, so if it rains definitely bring your umbrellas and boots with you to the game, if there is sun just wear a jacket and enjoy the match.

PHOTO CREDIT: Hartford Sports Information