UHart’s Rell Center appoints Katherine Owens as Director

The University of Hartford’s Rell Center for Public Service announced last week that they have appointed a new director, University of Hartford Associate Professor Dr. Katherine Owens.

The University of Hartford Rell Center for Public Service was established in 2011 to “promote the values exemplified by the life and career of the 87th Governor of Connecticut M. Jodi Rell- specifically the values of integrity in government and public service and responsible participation in public life”, according to its website.

The center provides a “community and academic forum” to discuss ethics in government, civil discourse in politics, and citizen involvement in public service and government.

Dr. Owens is currently an associate professor in the Department of Politics, Economics, and International Studies at the University of Hartford. She is also the director of the Interdisciplinary Studies program at the university.

Former Governor M. Jodi Rell stated “I am so very pleased and excited that Kat has joined the Rell Center as our new executive director. Her enthusiasm for our programs and educational opportunities make her a perfect fit for the job.”

Dr. Owens holds undergraduate degrees in anthropology, biology, and studio art. She holds a masters degree in environmental studies and a Ph.D. in governance and sustainability.

She was recently the recipient of a Fulbright Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Award, where she worked in Thiruvananthapuram, India. Dr. Owens seeks to link environmental science and policy in her work, and her work often “crosses the social and natural sciences” according to the Hartford Courant.

Dean of the University’s College of Arts and Sciences, Katherine Black, said in a statement that “Katharine (Kat) brings a wealth of experience in public policy research and advocacy, and involving students in this work, I am thrilled that she is taking the lead of the Rell Center.”

In addition to naming Dr. Owens director, the Rell Center also appointed two new advisory board members. Grace Lewis is a sophomore at the University of Hartford pursuing degrees in politics and government, psychology, and a minor in environmental studies.

Liz Kurantowicz of Fairfield, Connecticut is a strategist with more than 15 years of experience in government, politics, non-profit, and corporate affairs and a principal with the Drury group.