Morning Classes: Friends, Not Foes

Asia Arce, Editor in Chief

I am going to claim a statement that I know will put me in the minority when it comes to college students. I prefer morning classes over afternoon and night classes. I know, shocking right? When I was preparing for college, reading blog post after blog post that were meant to give me an insight into what college life would be like, they all advised against taking morning classes. Needless to say, I chose not to listen. However, I have to say that it has not been all that bad.

Especially since my entire education, up to that point, had prepared me for getting up early as well. Everyone got up early for school before attending college, so I never understood why it was such an intimidating thing to do. So, if you have yet to take a morning class, I am here to tell you you should definitely try one soon!

More people should aim for morning classes next semester because they have a lot to offer. For example, morning classes can help with procrastination. Procrastination is literally my oldest friend. For as long as I have been going to school, I procrastinate with everything. The only way I can ensure that I get my work done is by having a morning class. If I have a morning class then I force myself to get my work done the day before because nothing is worse than having to wake up even earlier just to finish or even start, an assignment due in an hour or two. Having a class in the afternoon, or later tricks my mind into thinking I have all the time in the world. With a class like that I take my time in the morning and end up moving slower throughout the rest of the day, which never ends up in a positive result for me.

Another reason why people should take morning classes is because it can help you prepare once you have graduated. For the most part in the professional world, people’s shifts begin early in the morning, which are around, or even before UHart’s earliest class. Why wait until after college to get used to that schedule when you can start before hand? Imagine this: you try taking morning classes next semester, and you end up late or missing a few. While that is not what you should strive for, it is on you and it serves as a perfect learning experience. However, if you are late for your job because you did not take the time to practice becoming a morning person, then the consequences are far more serious than before.

In my opinion, I cannot see any true downfalls to having morning classes other than simply having to wake up maybe before the sun itself is up. Why have afternoon and night classes and have to wait to start your day? If you start early, you will finish early and have the rest of the whole day to yourself. I do not know about you, but to me, that sounds much more relaxing. So definitely think about taking some morning classes for this upcoming spring semester.

IMAGE COURTESY OF UGAPRSSA.ORG