Donate gifts to local children through the annual “Angel Tree Project”

Asia Arce, Editor in Chief

The Annual Angel Tree is up and running once again since first starting in 2008. Located in Hawk Lounge in GSU, students and staff can find a tree decorated with angels, each with a specific gift listed. The Office of Student Engagement and Inclusion, who is putting on this project, hope that when an angel is plucked from the tree, that the respective gift listed will be bought in order to donate to children and adults in the local area. In the past, they have typically donated around, “150 gifts”, with “half going to each organization, according to Lisa Cote, Assistant Director, Engagement, Support, & Development at UHart. The ideas for each gift were taken from lists made by children and adults from both the South Park Inn and the Village for Families and Children in Hartford. Gifts that will eventually be donated to the South Park Inn, will be donated to those staying at an emergency homeless shelter in Hartford. While gifts made from the lists made by those at the Village for Families and Children, will be donated to an organization that works to “build a community of strong, healthy families who protect and nurture children,” as per their mission statement. All gifts must be unwrapped when brought back to the Hawk Longe, before December 2nd, the deadline of this project.