Men’s Soccer season ends after loss in AE Finals

Chaz Young, Sports Editor

The men’s season of soccer has come to an unfortunate ending, as they fall to rivals UNH during finals. The University of Hartford men’s soccer team loses in the AE finals against New Hampshire, 1-0, in the 2019 America East Championships matchup. During the first half of the match, New Hampshire were the first to come out the gate with assists, shots and defensive moves that were too much at first for the Hawks. However, Hartford came alive and stop the Wildcats from scoring any additional goals, stopping them from extending their lead from 1-0. Goalkeeper Jimmy Slayton made multiple saves during the first half, including a save in-which was shot towards the top corner of the goal post. During the second half of the match, neither was able to scored, but it was the Wildcats that held onto their 1-0 lead.

However, the tournament didn’t come without some awards and announcements in favor of the Hartford Hawks. Senior players Jimmy Slayton and Aitor Elena, along with sophomore player Sergi Martnez have all been announced to the All Tournament team. Slayton was also rewarded receiving the Elite 18 award for having one of the highest GPA averages all the players in the championship matchup. The Hawks finished out their 2019 season with a 12-5-4 overall with the final loss this past Saturday, while the UNH Wildcats go up to a 14-1-3 with their AE final win. With the loss, the Hartford Hawks won’t be advancing to any other major competitions this season.

IMAGE COURTESY OF HARTFORD SPORTS INFORMATION