Phi Mu Alpha performs Foo Fighters and Alice in Chains

Image Courtesy of Phi Mu Alpha

John Paul Simmons, Entertainment Editor

UHart’s Phi Mu Alpha fraternity just recently hosted another one of their campus shows this past Saturday night in the Hartt School.
PMA has not only made a name for themselves as a music fraternity, but also as a group of musicians that like to entertain the campus community by performing classic albums in their entirety live on-stage.
This past weekend’s event showcased their incredible talents as they played through the Foo Fighters’ 1995 debut, “Foo Fighters,” and Alice In Chains’ popular 1992 album “Dirt.”
Past albums they have done live include “Abbey Road” by the Beatles, “Led Zeppelin IV” by Led Zeppelin, “Pretty. Odd.” by Panic! At The Disco, and “Meliora” by Ghost.
The night’s lineup included Ella Telford, Nathan Murphy, and Tom Atkins on vocals, Trevor Okonuk on bass, Andrew Bosco and Evan Kelly on guitars, and Ethan Gueldenzopf  on drums.
Atkins said of the opportunity, “I did the last PMA album, ‘Meliora’ by Ghost, and I only did three songs.
I was kind of pulled into it by a friend and was a little apprehensive at first, but the show made me realize how much I love performing.
When it came to do ‘Dirt,’ an album that I love, I jumped on the opportunity to do it, and I think the performance speaks for itself.”
Though the band performed “Dirt,” this wouldn’t be the first time that they have chosen to do the album live, as they performed it last in November 2018.
Bosco said of the second run, “I think we’re all just such Alice In Chains maniacs that we really wanted to do it again.”
Atkins said of the last show that they performed Ghost’s “Meliora” that it was a “very different feel.
The other one was in cloaks in a big stage, but this show had more of a garage show feel to it, with a smaller venue, no stage, and wearing flannels.”
Okonuk, who accompanied on bass, commented on Gueldenzopf’s playing style with, “He might be the besrt drummer I’ve played with.”
He then commended the vocalists with, “All the vocalists were talented individuals, as well.”
He also said that playing “Dirt” as he did for the first show made the “past show feel just like home.”
The event took place on the top floor of the Hartt Swchool and the band opened the set with the Foo Fighters’ debut album and then took a short break, which made room for an intermission.
Shortly after, they started playing songs from “Dirt” to a warmer-than-warm reception from the audience who danced and moshed their way through the album.
Simeon Kornegay was also a featured guitar player during the event.
He commented on  music with, “The grunge scene in Seattle in the 1990s really intrigued me growing up and I loved the music from Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and others. Having the opportunity to cover ‘Dirt’ live with our team for the public who enjoy the album and band was an amazing experience.”
Drummer and fellow organizer Ethan Gueldenzopf said of the night, “I thought it went really well.