Fall, Foliage and Fun-Autumn Activities to do in Connecticut

Image Courtesy of manorhouse-norfolk.com

Debbie Phillips, Entertainment Editor

Fall is officially here! That means it’s time to bring out the pumpkin spice, even though Starbuck’s already does that in late August. What kind of things can you do to welcome fall? Well Connecticut has a lot of activities from leaf peeping to pumpkin picking that will do the job and give you that autumn in a small-town Gilmore Girl aesthetic.

Take a Fall Foliage Drive

There are dozens of routes available to take online, the most beautiful has to be the drive to the iconic West Cornwall Covered Bridge located just over an hour from campus. The West Cornwall Bridge is one of the last covered bridges in Connecticut and is located over the Housatonic River. This picture-perfect bridge is quaint and perfect for fall photoshoots with the scenic river and foliage surrounding. The best time to look at fall foliage is October 10th to the 30th.

Award Winning Views at Kent Falls State Park

For those who don’t listen to TLC and like to go chase waterfalls, this site is located just down the road from the West Cornwall Covered Bridge is Kent Falls State Park home to a series of stunning waterfalls. Located in the southern region of the Berkshire’s in the Litchfield hills this state park has been featured in a number of travel magazines and was even voted as one of the best towns to view fall foliage by Yankee Magazine. If the combination of waterfalls and foliage was not enough for you this park also has their very own covered bridge!

Leaf Peeping at Talcott

Located thirteen minutes from campus is beautiful Talcott Mountain, always a go to for Hartford students to get out and be active. The top of the hike offers beautiful views of the treetops around the surrounding picturesque towns, best time to see the leaves color changes from this location is also October 10th to the 30th.

Pumpkin Patch and Apple Picking

Located in Windsor, Connecticut is Brown’s Harvest. This farm sits on 175 acres and has been family owned and operated for generations. On September 26th and 27th Brown’s Harvest will be hosting their first ever Annual Apple Festival where they will be serving apple-based desserts, candy apples and having local vendors join in on the fun. Other fall festivities here include hayrides, a 6-acre corn maze, apple cider donuts and a pumpkin patch. Just remember to pick your pumpkins before they’re gone for Halloween!