Former NFL Star, Colin Kaepernick, to be inducted into University of Nevada Hall of Fame

Getty Images

(Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

Ryan Kelsey, Staff Writer

The University of Nevada has decided that Colin Kaepernick, along with five other former Wolf Pack players, will be inducted into the school’s 2020 Athletics Hall of Fame. Kaepernick, who played quarterback for the Wolf Pack from 2007-2010, is the only player in college football history to pass for 10,000 yards and rush for 4,000 yards after becoming the starting quarterback as a sophomore. He also finished his collegiate career with 82 passing touchdowns, and 59 rushing touchdowns.

Yet, the most successful year for Kaepernick was in 2011 when he led the Wolf Pack to a 13-1 record which tied the most wins in the college programs history. During that season the Wolf Pack were ranked in the NCAA Top 25 Rankings for the first time in 62 years, and finished the season victorious in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.

The success that Kaepernick had at the collegiate level led the San Francisco 49ers to draft the dual threat quarterback in the second round of the 2011 National Football League Draft. Kaepernick played for the 49ers for six seasons and brought the team to the Super Bowl in 2013 despite losing to the Baltimore Ravens, and nearly again in 2014 but came up just short in the National Football Conference Championship.

However, after a rocky relationship with the 49ers, Kaepernick decided to opt out of his contract and became a free agent after the 2016 season, and has not played for another NFL team since.

Although Kaepernick is no longer seen on football Sunday’s doing his signature celebration where he would kiss his bicep after scoring a touchdown, he has still found a way to give fans something to cheer about. He founded the “Know Your Rights Camp” in which disadvantaged youths can listen to free seminars about self-empowerment, American history, and legal rights. Since his absence from the NFL, Kaepernick has also been regonized by winning several awards like the 2017 GQ Magazine Citzen of the Year, 2017 Sports Illustrated Muhammad Ali Legacy Award, and the 2017 American Civil Liberties Union Eason Monroe Courageous Advocate Award.