Golf Combines To Take Home First and Second Place

Image Courtesy of Hartford Hawks.com

T.J. Hummel, Sports Editor

Both of our University of Hartford golf programs participated in the Hartford/Blackledge Invitational, held at the Blackledge Country Club. Both teams played incredibly well, with the men taking home first place and the women taking home second place during the invitational.

On the men’s side, Senior Matthew Schwab won his first-ever collegiate tournament. Schwab carded an even-par 72 over the single-round event to lead a round of 46 competitors. This helped the Hawks win the tournament by three strokes. With the help of three birdies, Schwab’s 72 is his lowest round so far in the 2020-2021 season.

There were some other strong performances to help the Hawks secure first place. Freshman Michael Amari, who carded a 73, tied for second place. Grad student Elias Gross recorded a 74, which helped him tie for fourth. Lastly, Senior Ryan Tomaso and sophomore Conor Byrne rounded out the top-10 finishers for the Hawks, both carding 75 to tie for ninth place.

On the women’s side, Senior Maria Loza led the Hawks to a second-place finish in the Blackledge Invitational. Loza carded a 75 on the day which landed her a fifth-place finish. The women had four golfers finish within the top-20 and two who finished within the top-10. Loza was able to shoot for birdie on the fourth and 18th holes to help her gain a top-five finish.

Senior Brooke Mackinnon added three birdies to her day to help her achieve a 78 and a seventh-place finish. Sophomores Hannah Drew and Lara Yeung both contributed fantastic scores to round out the tournament. Drew recorded an 81 to tie for 11th place and Yeung rounded out the Hawks’ top-20 finishers as she tied for 18th place with an 83.

Both teams have a short rest as they are both back in action on Friday as they host an event at the Wintonbury Hills Golf Club in Bloomfield, Connecticut.