Female Athlete of the Week: Maria Loza

Image Courtesy of Hartford Hawks.com

Image Courtesy of Hartford Hawks.com

T.J. Hummel, Sports Editor

Senior Maria Loza entered this year boasting a career-best stroke average of 75.21, which is the best in program history. As the reigning MAAC individual champion, Loza landed a spot on the MAAC All-Academic team for this year.

To be eligible, a student-athlete must meet and/or exceeding the minimum requirements, including a minimum of a 3.2 GPA, and must have completed at least one academic term at his/her current MAAC institution.

Loza joins her fellow six teammates who were also named to the team. This is the first time in her career that she has been nominated to the All-Academic team. As a biomedical engineering major,  Loza posted the best stroke average on the team this past season with a 78.37 mark, the Winter Orange, Fla., native secured a team-high five top-10 finishes in 2021.

Before her time as a Hawk, She had helped West Orange High School to a runner-up finish at the Florida State Tournament, taking seventh place as an individual. She also piloted the team to conference, sectional, and regional titles, while also being a member of the National Honor Society.

Both on and off the links, Loza has exemplified what it means to be a student-athlete. Her hard work and determination shines through, both inside and outside the classroom, and achieved an incredible honor.