Volleyball Takes Stright Sets on Senior Night

hartfordhawks.com

hartfordhawks.com

Thomas Hummel, Sports Editor

Junior Maddie Lindsay and freshman Camryn Luginbuhl tallied nine kills each as the Hartford volleyball team took down visiting Binghamton in straight sets on senior night. With the win, the Hawks complete the regular-season sweep against the Bearcats and improved to 5-18 overall and 3-7 in conference play. Binghamton falls to 7-15 and 3-7 in the America East with the loss.
The two sides battled back in forth in the opening set as they played to a 7-7 draw. The Hawks then utilized a 4-0 run, featuring two service aces from junior Greta De Gasper, to jump out and take the lead. The Hawks would go on another 4-0 run to take a commanding 23-18 lead. The Hawks continued to pile on the pressure and denied Binghamton any chance of coming back in the first set, winning, 25-18.
Hartford would jump out to an early 7-2 lead in the second set after kills from Robin Helms and Luginbuhl. Binghamton would fight back and close the gap to one, but the Hawks would go on a 5-0 run to take a 15-8 lead and force a Bearcat timeout. Binghamton would score four of the next five points after the break, but Hartford responded with another big 4-0 run to take a 20-12 lead. Binghamton would not be able to close the gap any further as the Hawks took the second set decisively, 25-15.
The third, and ultimately final, set was much like the first as the two sides went back and forth, knotting the score up at 10-10. Following the tight opening stanza, the Hawks would start to pull away, going on an 8-0 run and forcing four Binghamton attacking errors. Binghamton would respond with a 5-1 run of their own to cut the Hartford lead to 19-15, but the Bearcats would not get any closer than four points as the Hawks took set three, 25-21, and the match in straight sets.
The Hawks hit the road for the final time in 2021 when they visit NJIT next Friday (Nov. 12). First serve from the Wellness and Events Center in Newark, N.J., is set for 6 p.m.