Women’s Basketball Drops Tough Game to Penn

via hartfordhawks.com

via hartfordhawks.com

Thomas Hummel, Sports Editor

Graduate student Jada Lucas dropped a team-high 10 points while senior Sierra Smith added eight points and six rebounds as the Hartford women’s basketball team dropped an 85-42 decision against Penn. The Hawks dip to 0-2 on the young season while the Quakers move to 1-0.
Penn, which led wire-to-wire, used a 16-0 run capped by a Kayla Padilla layup to open up a 16-0 lead with 3:50 left to go in the first quarter. Hartford would respond with a 5-0 run, featuring a stepback three-pointer by Lucas to close the gap to 11, but the Quakers continued their hot start, heading into the second quarter with a 30-9 advantage.
Penn continued to shoot the ball well, building a 29-point lead at 38-9 with 3:59 left in the second quarter. The Hawks looked to claw their way back into the game after a pair of free throws from Paula Maurina and a driving layup by Sierra Smith, but the Quakers would extend their lead and go into the halftime break up 54-16. Penn continued to shoot lights-out from the floor, building a 49-point lead at 78-29 to enter the fourth quarter.
The Hawks would come alive in the fourth, going on a 9-0 run after back-to-back threes from Najla Cecunjanin, Abby Streeter, and Lucas. In the final quarter, the Hawks played outstanding defense, limiting the Quakers to only seven points on 3-of-17 shooting. The Quaker advantage would prove to be too much, however, as the Hawks fell 85-42.
Hartford hits the road for two games in Texas. The trip marks the first time the Hawks visit the Lone Star State. The Hawks look to get back into the win column for the first time this season. Hartford is set to play Houston Baptist on Thursday at 8 p.m.